Friday, December 18, 2015

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt - Results!

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt - Results!


The results are in from the NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt!

Here are the winners:
First Place and winner of the medallion painted by Kirsten Cermele - Stacy Faraci
Second Place and winner of the Breyer 2015 Beautiful Breeds TB Ornament - LeeAnn Bachman
Third Place and winner of the NIB Breyer Mystery Stablemate set - Meredith Conrad

All who entered the Ornament Hunt contest were also entered in a raffle for one of the exclusive unpainted medallions created by Becky Turner for NAMHSA. The winner of the raffle is Beth Patterson!

Congrats to the winners, and thank you to everyone who participated!

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt


The Holiday tree fell over and there are ornaments everywhere! Please help us find all the ornaments that are all over the NAMHSA website! The first three to find all 10 ornaments will get to choose a special prize! Everyone who helps* will be entered into a raffle for an exclusive NAMHSA medallion done by Becky Turner.

How to play:
1. Find the 10 ornaments that are lost in the NAMHSA website.
2. Send an email to with the exact locations of all 10 ornaments. Please include your full name, phone number, email address, and shipping address.

The three prizes are:
1. Painted medallion by Kirsten Cermele
2. 2015 Breyer Beautiful Breeds TB Ornament
3. NIB mystery Breyer Stablemate set
Prizes will be chosen by the three winners in the order that they email with the correct answers. Domestic shipping will be covered; international shipping will be the responsibility of the winner.

*All who enter the Ornament Hunt contest before the winners are announced will be entered in a raffle for one of the exclusive unpainted medallions created by Becky Turner for NAMHSA.

Good luck and have fun!

Monday, December 14, 2015

NAMHSA Welcomes New NAN 2016 Sponsorship Coordinators

NAMHSA Welcomes New
NAN 2016 Sponsorship Coordinators


After submitting a proposal for the position, Rachel Stacy and Sarah Townsend were welcomed to the NAMHSA Team as NAN 2016 Sponsorship Coordinators. As Sponsorship Coordinators, Rachel and Sarah’s responsibilities will include soliciting sponsorships and donations for NAN.

For further inquiries you may write to Rachel and Sarah at

Thank you,
Janna Shepherd
NAMHSA Public Relations Officer

Sunday, December 13, 2015

NAMHSA Photo Contest - Results!

NAMHSA Photo Contest - Results!


The results are in from the NAMHSA Photo Contest!

Here are the winners:

For the Adult Division -
Honorable mention: Kate Tucker for her carriage photo

Third place and winner of $25 Café Press certificate: Sarah Kruger for her jousting photo

Second place and winner of NIB Breyer Old Timer: Sara Gifford for her kicking dragons photo

First place and winner of $250 gift certificate to Sakori's Customs: Juliane Gartska for her sunset photo

And in the Youth Division-
Second place and winner of NIB Classic Breyer: Ellie Bobbit for her two horses photo

First place and winner of NIB Breyer Old Timer: Ellie Bobbit for her mom and baby photo

The winners' photos will also be posted on the Fundraising page and our Facebook page.
Thank you to all of the entrants who sent in your photos and made the judging difficult!

Friday, December 4, 2015

NAMHSA News for October 2015

NAMHSA News for October 2015


Oct 1 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) noted that she had a nomination from for R2 rep, but that the nomination came from the nominee who was not a NAMHSA member. NAMHSA allows for self-nomination for reps and VP but requires that the nomination come from a NAMHSA member. She requested that someone contact the nominee about this.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted a chart comparing both proposals before the BOD for the 2016 NAN.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) reported on the history of the time frame for when calls for NAN chairs went out: the process had historically been started as early as the end of August and wrapped as late as the first week of December. Teresa also noted that sometimes issues with core BOD members changing unexpectedly affected the timing of calls for NAN chairs. She also noted that with two proposals on the table, the BOD would not seek a third option, as the position typically begs for volunteers.

-- Eleanor Harvey (parl) posted a history of NAMHSA and NAN based on archived messages she had kept and from information verified with three members of the founding board of NAMHSA.  She verified from these messages that the entire structure of NAN has always been, from the beginning, determined by the Board/Steering Committee, and no part of it has been subject to a membership vote. Further, she asserted that the structure of NAN has never been incorporated into the bylaws of NAMHSA—it has always been a matter of policy.

Oct 2
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) updated the search for a Region 2 rep.  The first nominee was still waiting for a legal person to nominate her. Jackie advised that she asked the nominee if she was still pursuing nomination or wanted to with draw. A second candidate had also been nominated, and Jackie was awaiting a bio for a ballot.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) noted that the discussion on the NAN proposals had mostly degenerated into rehashing previous points and called for any final discussion.
Eleanor Harvey (parl) offered a summary of options that the BOD currently faced: to vote to accept the first proposal with Jackie Arns-Rossi & Eleanor Harvey as chairs; to vote to accept the second proposal with Hilary Rossow as chair; OR to vote to accept neither of them - in which case, the Board would have to put together a full proposal for NAN 2016 (including how many judges, what kinds of awards, any fee increases, etc) and then would put out a call for NAN Chair to find someone willing to run it that way.

Teresa addressed the BOD with a summary of how she felt the BOD was leaning, which was that while both proposals had aspects that were viable, only Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey as chairs seemed to be a viable option.
Teresa did not feel that rejecting both proposals and trying to seek out a third chair candidate would sit well with the hobby. She also felt that the Board independently trying to sort the one judge vs three judge issue would not be something that could be wrapped up quickly with time to find a third chair candidate. Jackie Moore (R6) asked about Hilary Rossow’s amended proposal. Teresa advised this had never been formally submitted to the board and should not be considered.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) posted the ballot for Region 2 rep for approval.

Oct 4 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) approved the ballot for the Region 2 election.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted an agenda for October:
1. Finish discussion/vote on NAN 2016 proposals (Deadline to have vote finished by Oct. 15)
2. Policy change: discuss/vote re: combining classes
3. Awards
4. NAN Fees

To do list: get a new Reg 2 rep on board, keep advertising the cookie contest.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) uploaded minutes from 2012, 2011, and 2010 for archival purposes.

Oct 5 
-- Janna Shepherd (PR) reported that she had only received one entry for the 2016-2017 NAN trophy contest and asked how she should handle checks sent for entry fees for the contest.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) posted proposed rules for a photography contest, a holiday raffle for December, and proofs of patches for NAMHSA themed Pony Pouches from Lori Bachelor. Janna Shepherd (PR) recommended reviewing PayPal’s TOS for handling raffle tickets, as these were typically not allowed.

Oct 6 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) uploaded minutes from 2009 for archival purposes.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) advised that the Region 2 ballot for rep was out, and suggested an announcement asking members to add to any approved senders list they might have. She also reported on issues with people who did not get ballots and were not on the membership list and what steps she was taking to resolve the issues.
Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised sending the winner of the election the links about BOD conduct that Kim Bjorgo-Thorne had previously recommended. Jackie also suggested sending out reminder emails to members with expiring memberships since everyone now ended at the same time. BOD members commenting felt this was a good idea.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) asked for clarifications on some of Elena Lemm’s (fund) proposed programs.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) called for final discussion points for the 2016 NAN proposals. She indicated that a vote would start on October 9 and run 5 days and that any newly installed Region 2 rep would also vote.

Oct 7 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) expressed concerns about the timeline for getting a new R2 rep installed in time to actually have a meaningful vote on the NAN proposals.
Teresa Buzzel (pres) acknowledged these concerns and offered some suggestions to alleviate them, including sending introductory materials to both candidates before the election ended, and informing them of needing to be immediately available to vote on the issue before the poll closed.  She also suggested having the email to the winning candidate already drafted and ready to be sent, including sending all of the information on how to access the forum and supplying links to the discussion and the poll to vote in.

-- Carmen Robertson (treas) advised raffle tickets could not be purchased through Paypal as raffles were considered a form of gambling.

-- Carmen Robertson (treas) posted the September Treasury Summary:
September 2015 Report
Balance in BOA checking as of 9/30/15: 53,349.20
Balance in PayPal as of 9/30/15: 142.31
Balance in NAMHSA accounts as of 9/30/15: 53,491.51

Oct 8 
-- Eleanor Harvey (parl) pointed out that even if the new R2 rep were installed ASAP on the 14th, there was not enough time for that person to review and digest all of the information about both proposals in a few hours to cast a meaningful vote.
Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) also felt that the timing of the election and vote would be setting up the incoming R2 rep as there was not time for the rep to absorb all of the information the BOD had been privy to for the past 6 weeks.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) moved to vote on the 2016 NAN proposals. Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) seconded. Teresa stated that since there had been no discussion, the poll would start October 9.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) offered to draft a letter to both R2 candidates welcoming them to the BOD to try and bring them up to date as quickly as possible.

Oct 9 
-- The following poll was started:
Please vote for what NAN 2016 Proposal should be accepted:
1. Yes, I am in favor of Jackie Arns-Rossi & Eleanor Harvey's proposal
2. Yes, I am in favor of Hilary Rossow's proposal
3. No, I don't want either proposal - let's find a different candidate.
The poll was slated to run 5 days.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) uploaded the 2007 minutes and a partial copy of the 2006 minutes. She advised that older copies of the minutes were in hard copy format only, and asked if it was possible to have them scanned as searchable documents. Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) reported she had access to a scanner that could produce searchable docs and was willing to scan the older minutes. Teresa Buzzell (pres) gave permission to proceed.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted an email exchange between the Board and Sheri Rhodes of Mountain View Studios concerning Sheri taking on the entire NAN trophy process which could potentially cut award costs for NAN.  Sheri gave price quotes for the full awards, excluding labor which she volunteered to donate.
Teresa was not in favor of making a large change to the NAN awards, as had been suggested in past discussions, and moved to discuss the awards. This was seconded by Jackie Moore (R6).

Oct 12 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) reported to the BOD that past Registrar, Jim West, had died unexpectedly that morning. The NAMHSA BOD expressed it sorrow and condolences for his family and friends.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) received an email from an unknown person asking about the security of the NAMHSA website.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) asked Carmen Robertson (treas) to ask Auld’s on their pricing for awards and advise them that NAMHSA was exploring other options for award suppliers.

Oct 13 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) reported another issue with an R2 member who did not receive a ballot and did not have proof that they had rejoined when they entered NAN 2015. She suggested adding membership numbers since all memberships were now the same, as this may encourage people to fill out and then keep membership paperwork.  She also suggested putting a limit (48 hours) as for how far into a vote people could bring up issues with not getting ballots (in this particular case, the ballot went out on Wednesday and the issue was not identified by the member until Saturday afternoon). Teresa Buzzell (pres) felt that both membership numbers and time limits on getting ballots corrected could both be implemented.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised she had received an email from Lisa Sharpe (R11) resigning from her position as Region 11 representative. Teresa asked Janna Shepherd (PR) to create a call for candidates for a new rep.

Oct 14 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) announced the results of the Region 2 rep election: Donna Anderson is the new Region 2 Representative. Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised both candidates of the results and made sure that Donna had received the recommended reading materials on board conduct.

--Janna Shepherd (PR) advised that NAMHSA was going to expand their social media presence and now had an Instagram account: @NAMHSA.Official

-- Elena Lemm (fund) reported that the first round of fundraising auctions on My Auction Barn were live.

Oct 15 
-- The following poll ended:
Please vote for what NAN 2016 Proposal should be accepted:
1. Yes, I am in favor of Jackie Arns-Rossi & Eleanor Harvey's proposal
-Stacy Quick (R1)
-Yashka Hallein (R3)
-Lindsay Diamond (R4)
-Lynn Weber (R5)
-Jackie Moore (R6)
-Carol Tuft (R7)
-Jenna Murphy (R8)
-Barbara DiAnnibella (R9)
-Sharon Mossy (R10)
-Lisa Sharpe (R11)
-Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP)
2. Yes, I am in favor of Hilary Rossow's proposal
No votes
3. No, I don't want either proposal - let's find a different candidate.
No votes

The seat for Region 2 was unfilled at the time of this vote.

Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey will run NAN under the stipulations in their previously made proposal.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) suggested adding a reserve to future fundraising auctions. Teresa Buzzell (pres) felt this was not necessary at this time.

Oct 16 
-- Janna Shepherd (PR) reported she received a second entry for the 2016-2017 trophy contest.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) posted the Monthly Fundraising Report:
“The fundraising is off to a fabulous start with the monthly auctions, they started this month with 2 OFs, a CM SM, a doll/saddle pad set and a jump set. So far all items have bids and people seem excited about the offerings.
Plans are still in progress for the photo show and some kind of holiday special. We will not be doing an online raffle in Dec, but other plans are in progress for something just as fabulous.
New donations are coming in and several donated pieces are with the painting artists.
The show packet and Pony Pouch proposal are still in the works.”

Oct 17 
-- Carmen Robertson (treas) reported prices from Auld for 2016 NAN awards.  Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) asked if this pricing would be on top of the costs of the resin trophy medallion.

Oct 19 
-- Elena Lemm (fund) offered a revision to the photo contest fundraiser.

-- Discussion on changing the trophy supplier continued, with most weighing in preferring to keep Auld’s for Merit Awards and moving to MVS for NAN trophies. Dayle Steinke (MAC) confirmed that there was a good supply of past trophies to be recycled at Auld’s.

Oct 20 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) requested Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) to have Sheri from MVS photograph the two different sample NAN trophies to get a better idea of any differences in appearance.

Oct 21 
-- Sharon Mossy (R10) brought a concern over a potential show in Region 10. The showholder of this potential show had tried to hold another show previously, accepted entrants and then canceled the show, but did not refund all the entrants. She was also difficult to deal with for what refunds were given out. Sharon asked if the showholder could be required to refund entrants of the past show. Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised that while Sharon could ask that the showholder refund entrants of the cancelled show, NAMHSA played no role in collecting those funds.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) posted an update on potential fundraisers including a potential Jim West memorial piece.

Oct 22 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised she had sent an email to MVS asking about the two different plaques.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) asked board members to post their goals for NAMHSA (beyond NAN) for the coming year.

Oct 28 
--Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted an update from MVS about the prices for NAN trophies.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted her top 5 goals for NAMHSA in the next year:
  1. Conduct SWOT analysis for NAMHSA (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats)
  2. Develop strategic plan for the next 5 years for NAMHSA
  3. Revisit bylaws and update/revise where needed
  4. Spend time on Board member development via required reading of BoardSource books/white papers
  5. Revisit NAMHSA mission and vision statements and update where needed

Other goals posted by the BOD members included a judges’ handbook or judging reference books, revisiting the proposed database, and just getting anything aside from NAN accomplished.

Oct 29
-- Discussion continued on changing the vendors for the 2016 NAN trophy plaques.

Oct 30
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) moved that discussion on the NAN trophy plaques end that evening so it could go to vote. Stacy Quick (R1) seconded. Board members indicated they were ready to vote.

Oct 31 
-- A poll started to change the vendor of the NAN Trophy Plaques to Mountain View Studios.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) advised that Lori Bachelor was sending 6 Pony Pouches to be sold and as prizes for the photography contest. She also advised that she was planning an NAN auction/event.

-- Discussion on goals for NAMHSA, including a judging seminar at BreyerFest continued.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) moved to eliminate the following item from the policy document:
I. NAN Classlist
2. Minimum Guaranteed Classlist: The use of a Minimum Guaranteed Classlist (MGC) was approved for use with NAN 2008 (11-0, 4/08). A modified MGC was used for NAN 2009. The MGC is published before the NAN entry period opens. Classes in the MGC may be split, but classes in the MCG may not be combined or eliminated without approval from all individuals entered in the classes in question.

She elaborated on reasons to strike this item, including issues with creating a good classlist that would not need to have classes combined, and financial trends that ended up with about 20% of classes at recent NANs to have less than 20 horses.

No report.

No report.

October was a sad, heartbreaking month for Region 3, as well as the rest of the hobby at large. Jim West, friend to many, and the fearless NAN Registrar for many years, passed away of a sudden heart attack on Monday, October 12th. Because of this, both the Wild Wild West All Yellow and All Performance Shootout in Calhan, CO on November 7th have been cancelled. In their place a remembrance BBQ will be held. Please contact me via email if you would like to attend and need the address, etc.

In Arizona, the show season continues with One Woman Show Series (Artist Resin & Custom) in Phoenix, AZ, on October 24th. Contact: Teresa Candelaria. Then on November 7th, there is OSC: Tucson Mountain Live in Tucson, AZ. Contact: Pat McDonald.

I haven't heard a show report for Zions Zen Model Horse Show in Hurricane, UT. held by Alison Ural-Cawley on October 10th, but assume that a great time was had by all.

Until next time, clear skies.

Show season kicks off in October in Region 4. Shows are scattered across Wisconsin, South Dakota and Minnesota. I've seen some fantastic pictures from Deb Johnson's 4th Annual Jackson County 4-H and Open Model Horse Show on October 10th, and it looks like the competition was fantastic! Feel free to post pictures and show reports on the Region 4 Facebook page or on the Yahoo Group.

I want to take a moment to remember Jim West. Jim passed away suddenly and unexpectedly the morning of October 12th. As many of you know, Jim was our fearless registrar for NAN 2011 through 2015. He will be sorely missed by everyone in the hobby for his wit, personality, and love of all things Lego. If anyone would like to send a card to Vicky and his children, please contact me for an address.

Enjoy your shows! Clear skies.

No Report.

Hello All!

On Sept 19, Magnolia State Live was held in Tupelo, MS. By all accounts, this brand new show was well-run and enjoyable, and everyone is looking forward to it returning next year. The show raised money and donations for the Oktibehha County Humane Society, which, I am sure, was very grateful to receive the donations!

There are two shows scheduled for the region in October:
The 28th Annual Southern Model Horse Convention in Covington, GA on Oct 3
Haunted Horses in Orlando, FL on Oct 24

There are also two shows scheduled for November:
Palmetto State Live in Irmo, SC on Nov 7
Circle C Classic in Sophia, NC on Nov 21

See you at the shows!
Jackie Moore

Fall is most defiantly on it's way here, leaves are changing here in Tennessee and I bet they are well into fall in Ohio. time for our Fall/ Winter show season to get underway. October 10th saw the 12th annual Quarter Horse Congress which by all accounts was a great success.
October 24 was to be Classy Chassis 2 however due to unforseen circumstances the show had to be cancelled. If Jennifer Dodd is able to Start it back up again you need to come! It is a novel show with divisions for every model who's molds were made before 1996.
Next up is Winter is coming! Model Horse Show held on Nov 7th in Shelbyville KY Held by Rachel Kelly
and on December 5th there will be Merry Minis Live a minis only show info to be found at This is a new show and I can't wait to see how fun it will be.

No report.

September had several shows in Region 9, including Columbia Valley Moose Open in Bloomsburg PA, and Small But Mighty Live and It’s a Love Fest, both in Gap PA, on Sept 19, and then Keystone International Livestock Exposition on Sept 26 at the PA Farm Show complex in Harrisburg. Small But Mighty and It’s a Love Fest were both new shows and I think KILE was also. It’s great to have some new options!

Intermediaire/Intersport were held Oct 11, during the real horse show at the PA Farm Show complex in Harrisburg. Competition was incredibly tough in all divisions.

There are a lot of shows coming up in November, three on the 7th – Southwest PA Classic in Richeyville, PA, Ride for Pride in Leesport, PA and Columbia Valley Moose Open AR/CM Show, Bloomsburg, PA. The November Model Horse Fest will be in Flemington NJ on the 28th.

I have started a show list on my website: ... shows.html. Eventually I hope to create a separate Region 9 Website.

Region 10 October Report

Fall is definitely here - such beautiful colors in Region 10 at this time of the year. And Fall brings some super fun shows too, including our Regional Championship show! Read on for more details

There are two super awesome shows just around the corner this month. The first one is on October 17th in Spencer, MA. It's the New England Performance Challenge held by Nancy Timm. This show is an absolute MUST for the Performance shower!

The second show is for the Novice/Intermediate shower and it's being held on October 25th in Williston, VT. The Vermont Live Model Horse Show is being held by Chrissey McCarty. If you've ever wanted to try showing your model horses, this is a great show to go to!

And of course, in November there is the year end Champ Show - The Region X Championships - or TRXC! The show is on November 7th and 8th and is hosted by Joan Fauteux and Kate Dwyer. Our stakes judges are Liesl Dalpe and Susan Bensema Young! This is a SUPERB two day show that is a must attend!

And remember, you can always keep up to date with the Region 10 website:

~Sharon Mossy~
Region 10 Rep

No report.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

NAMHSA seeks a 2016 NAN Registrar

NAMHSA seeks a 2016 NAN Registrar

Would you be willing to help organize and run the largest and most prestigious model horse show in North America? Do you want to serve your fellow hobbyists in an essential capacity? Are you organized, responsible and able to commit to attending NAN 2016? Then please consider applying for the position of NAN Registrar.

NAN 2016 will be conducted July 19-21, 2016 in Lexington, KY. The Registrar must be present all three days of NAN. Both before and during the event, the NAN Registrar will coordinate with the NAN Chairs to ensure that the show runs smoothly.

The duties of the NAN Registrar include (but are not limited to):
  1. Running the NAN entry process, including:
a)     Updating the NAN entry packet for the current NAN year.
b)    Working with the programmer to ensure that the NAN program will capture all needed information.
c)     Reviewing each online entry to ensure consistent information (e.g. making sure no one has entered a Clydesdale as an "other light breed").
d)    Communicating with entrants (primarily via email) to resolve questions regarding entries.
e)     Working with NAMHSA's PR officer, who sends out all NAN Announcements and updates.
f)     Working with the Treasurer to verify that correct NAN entry fees have been paid, mailing checks received to the Treasurer.
g)    Working with the Membership Secretary to update the membership database.
h)     Confirming receipt of entries to entrants and reviews all entries to ensure proper documentation has been provided (e.g. valid NAN cards).
  1. Communicate as necessary with the NAN Chairs and NAN Committee via email/Internet forum.
  2. Working with the NAN Chairs to develop the NAN class list (based on the classlist and entries received).
  3. Creating and emailing entrant confirmation packets.
  4. Coordinating and assembling show packets.
  5. Distributing NAN show packets the day before the show, and each morning of NAN.
  6. During NAN, entering placings and creating results, including:
a)     Setting up the computers, printers, internet access etc.
b)    Inputting the judges' sheets from each class all three days to provide real-time results.
c)     Answering entrant questions.
  1. Distributing results after NAN.
  2. Submitting a full recap of NAN from this position - what was done that was new, what worked, what did not work, suggestions for the future.

Please note: The NAN Registrar must have prior experience attending and/or volunteering at NAN within the last five years. The time commitment for this position starts when hired by the Board of Directors and concludes after all NAN related tasks are finished after NAN is over. The time commitment is most intense from May until NAN. He/she does not need to personally do all the above tasks but is ultimately responsible for making sure they all get done. The NAN Registrar WILL NOT be able to show at NAN. There is a maximum stipend of $525 for this position, which will only be paid after NAN 2016 upon successful completion of all tasks and obligations and may be may be reduced if specific duties before, during, or after NAN are not executed to the board's satisfaction.

Task-associated expenses (e.g., for paper, tags, postage, printer ribbons) will be covered with appropriate receipts.

If you are interested in being the 2016 NAN Registrar, please use the form on our volunteer page, found at by December 15th, 2015.

Monday, November 16, 2015

NAMHSA Benefit Auctions for November

NAMHSA Benefit Auctions for November


NAMHSA is pleased to announce that we have several donated items currently up for auction on My Auction Barn. All proceeds from the auction will go directly to NAMHSA.

All auctions can be found under the NAMHSA ID on My Auction Barn.
This month's auctions feature:
OF Stone Morgan in Dapple Bay
OF Stone Ideal Stock Horse in Blue Roan
Complete Set of Breyer 2015 Christmas Items
Performance Prop Lot (Including Documentation Cards)
Horse Head Medallion in Palomino
Horse Head Medallion in Chestnut Pinto
All auctions end Sunday, November 22nd.

Stay tuned, there will be more auctions and other fundraising campaigns year round. If you'd like more information about NAMHSA's fundraising efforts or are interested in making a monetary and/or item donation, please visit our Fundraising page or contact Elena Lemm, NAMHSA's Fundraising Coordinator, at

Monday, November 2, 2015

NAMHSA Photo Contest

NAMHSA Photo Contest


Here is your chance to have your pictures up in lights! Pick your best photos to compete in a scene contest with NAMHSA. The winner of the Adult Division will win a $250 gift certificate to Sakori's Customs!

The contest will run from November 2nd through November 23rd, 2015. Entries will be judged by Elena Lemm, NAMHSA's Fundraising Coordinator, from November 24th-29th, 2015, and winners will be announced and posted on the NAMHSA Fundraising page on November 30th, 2015.

There will be 2 divisions: Adult (15 and older) and Youth (14 and younger).
Entry Fees: 1-3 photos = $5; 4-6 photos = $10; 7-9 photos = $15
Photos are to depict a scene - can be holiday-themed or not.
By entering, you give NAMHSA permission to use your photos.

How to enter: 
1. Send JPEG attachment(s) to Please include your name, phone number, address, your Paypal email address and name (to match up your entry and payment), and number of photos sent.
2. Please send entry fees via Paypal to

Adult Division (Ages 15+)
First Place: $250 gift certificate from Sue Kern (Sakori's Customs)
Second Place: NIB OF Breyer Model and a Pony Pouch
Third Place: $25 gift certificate to NAMHSA's Café Press store

Youth Division (Ages 14 and under)
First Place: NIB OF Breyer Model and Pony Pouch
Second Place: NIB OF Breyer Classic Model
Third Place: $25 gift certificate to NAMHSA's Café Press store

Winners will be posted on the NAMHSA Fundraising page.
Shipping will be covered for domestic winners. International winners will need to cover actual USPS cost.

Monday, October 19, 2015

NAN 2016 Chair Announcement

NAN 2016 Chair Announcement


NAMHSA congratulates our NAN 2016 Chairs, Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey. Their proposal to chair NAN was chosen by the BOD via poll late last week. Jackie & Eleanor have served as NAN Chairs in 2010 and we welcome them back. We would also like to thank Hilary Rossow for her proposal and interest in the position.

More information about NAN 2016 will be released in the coming months. Please subscribe to our NAN 2016 mailing list to ensure you don't miss any future announcements.

Thank you,
Janna Shepherd
NAMHSA Public Relations Officer

Saturday, October 17, 2015

NAMHSA News for September 2015

NAMHSA News for September 2015


Sept 1 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted a list of suggested reading materials for Board members to help them understand their role serving on a Board of Directors.

-- Discussion of the 2016 NAN proposal continued. Jackie Moore (R6) felt that the proposal went so far as to try and change the structure of the show while Teresa Buzzell (pres) felt it was more of a retooling.

Sept 2 
-- Elena Lemm (fund) reported that Lori Bachelor could make patches with the NAN logo and locations/dates. Teresa Buzzell (pres) asked for a sample to review.

Sept 3 
-- Discussion of the 2016 NAN proposal continued. Sharon Mossy (R10) expressed concerns about changing several aspects of NAN at one time. Barbara DiAnnibella (R9) expressed understanding of why the change was being promoted now, and felt she would probably vote for it, but was not enthused about the idea. Carol Tuft (R7) felt entry numbers would be stable but advised people would be watching closely for favoritism. Lynn Weber (R5 and web), and Lindsay Diamond (R4) expressed support for the proposal. Jenna Murphy (R8) seemed torn.

Sept 6 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised that she spoke to Sheila Bishop about judging the 2016-2017 trophy contests. She also asked Janna Shepherd (PR) to put together an announcement for entries.

Sept 8
-- Carmen Robertson (treas) advised she had been contacted by Candice Stormes about her head steward stipend and asked for advice. Teresa Buzzell (pres) told Carmen to have Candice direct any inquiries to her.

Sept 9 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted emails she had received from Lacy Stormes and Donna Stone about Candice Stormes’ stipend.  Teresa advised she was only going to deal with Candice in this matter.

Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) reposted posts from the NAN Committee forum that contained references to a timeline for attempted contact with Donna and Harvey Stone (2015 NAN Chairs).

Sept 10 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) reported she had emailed Donna and Harvey Stone back to let them know that the NAN 2015 was considered wrapped. She had also heard from Candice Stormes on her daughter’s account and had asked her for her own email account information so that the matter could be discussed privately.

-- There was some discussion on changing the championship trophies for NAN to something less expensive. It was also felt that prior to introducing such a change the hobby at large would need extensive explanation for it. Teresa Buzzell (pres) suggested the BOD focus on the required parts of the proposal before going down a “rabbit hole” over awards.

Sept 11 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) suggested the BOD focus on the issue of allowing the NAN Chairs to combine classes as required as part of the 2016 NAN proposal.

Board members responding were in favor of removing the restrictions from combining classes.

Sept 12
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posed a graph showing the losses NAMHSA sustained with each NAN.  The graph showed a 10 year loss of about $95,000.

Several BOD members expressed shock and felt the hobby public needed to see it.

Sept 13 
-- Carmen Robertson (treas) posted the August Treasury Summary:
August 2015 Treasurer Report Summary
Balance in BOA checking as of 8/31/2015: 63603.41
Balance in PayPal as of 8/31/2015: 293.54
Balance in NAMHSA accounts as of 8/31/2015: 63896.95

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised she had no issue with allowing the graph Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) published after Carmen Robertson (treas) made the Palm Springs report official.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) asked to close discussion on the 2016 NAN proposal. Sharon Mossy (R10) asked if the proposal was accepted if that would make Eleanor Harvey and Jackie Arns-Rossi chairs and therefore a call for other volunteers would not go out. Teresa Buzzell (pres) confirmed that no, an additional call would not go out. Teresa then moved to accept the proposal and Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) seconded.

Sept 14 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) clarified the discussion following the motion to accept the 2016 NAN proposal, indicating that the vote would be to accept Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey as Chairs and included agreeing to Jim West as Registrar, Christine Jordan as announcer, head steward TBD, making a policy change of allowing classes to be combined without permission/informing of entrants (in cases of classes of under 20 entries) when necessary and changing from 3 judges to 1.  She reminded everyone that the suggestions listed in the proposal regarding awards and changing the entry fee would be discussed after the voting.

She then asked Jackie and Eleanor to outline how they would combine classes. Eleanor Harvey (parl) replied that the core philosophy of the class list they submitted was to cover the major, expected individual classes, but they would have to consider combining some of the proposed classes to make the competition viable. In halter, combining classes would happen if they end up with some significantly under-enrolled classes, in which case Jackie and Eleanor would look for the most appropriate body type and function as the guide. The same philosophy governs splits, which would be tailored to the specific class.  For performance, in some cases it makes sense to allow for a smaller class in order to provide clear and consistent judging criteria for the entire group of entries on the table. But in general, they will be looking to keep classes large and coherent. Combinations would be based on the similarity of the type of performance, way of going, tack, and judging criteria.

Sept 16 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) shared an email she sent to Candice Stormes in which she indicated that the NAMSHA Board of Directors received several reports stating that Candice was unable to perform the duties of Head Steward, to the point where another person stepped in and took over those duties.

-- Carol Tuft (R7) reported that “someone else” was planning to apply for 2016 NAN chair. She later revealed this was Hilary Rossow. Stacy Quick (R1) posted the contents of the message that she had been sent from Hilary Rossow.  Several other Board members posted that they had been contacted with the same message.  Sharon Mossy (R10) pushed to send out a call for other potential NAN chairs, and Jackie Moore (R6) agreed with her.

Teresa Buzzell (pres) felt that the timing of this sudden interest was “off” and encouraged the Board to continue discussion of the motion at hand.

Sharon posted that she had been approached by an “extremely, extremely well known hobbyist” about having Breyer provide judge’s models contingent on 3 judges being used for the show.

Sept 17 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) expressed confusion about the purpose of a NAN judge’s model from Breyer, if it would be offered as sole compensation for judges, and if it was a one-time thing, which would not resolve the issues the organization was having. She also did not feel that trying single judging NAN would doom the event. Teresa Buzzell (pres) also expressed skepticism at the idea that Breyer would offer models to NAMHSA. She reminded everyone that Breyer has been approached in the past about donating something like this to NAMHSA and has said no every time.

Teresa Buzzell (pres) stressed that the BOD has never let a manufacturer dictate to the organization what NAMHSA can and cannot do when it comes to the hobby.

Sharon Mossy (R10) reported she had not yet seen the letter from Breyer her anonymous contact supposedly had, but felt that it was a one-time thing and intended as a perk, not as a replacement for judges’ stipends. She also expressed concern that if single judging were tried, the show would never revert back to having three judges per class. Danielle Miller (IMS) and Chris Wallbruch (MSOTY) both pointed out that the show had lost almost $100,000 in the past ten years and that drastic changes needed to be considered at this point.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) and Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) made a joint post to the BOD concerning their suspicion that someone on the BOD had provided Hilary Rossow either enough details about Jackie & Eleanor’s proposal or had provided Hilary a copy of said proposal. They reminded everyone that both Eleanor and Kim have clearly described acceptable Board behavior and the protocol for taking information off the forum, and that there was absolutely no excuse for this serious breach of ethics to happen.  They then provided evidence that pointed towards the off-forum disclosure.

Members responding expressed disappointment and frustration with this possibility.

Sept 18 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted an email she received from Candice Stormes, the head steward for NAN 2015, concerned about not being paid her full stipend.

Teresa noted the following:
-    The BOD had already received a detailed report from Jim West (2015 NAN registrar) that conflicted Candice’s. Donna and Harvey Stone had never sent in any report on the show to back up Candice’s story.
-    Per NAMHSA policies, the head steward needs to have at least attended NAN in the past, which Candice Stormes had not, making her a non-eligible candidate for the job to begin with.

She advised that she had contacted Jim West about the situation.

Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) posted Jim West’s entire report on the head steward from the NAN Committee Board.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) reported that so far no one had been nominated to serve as Region 2 rep.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted an email that she had received from a hobbyist asking about the process and deadline for submitting proposals for the NAN Chair position.  Kim then posted her reply, indicating that consideration of a chair for NAN should include a proposal for how the event will be run.

Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) also added that according to NAMHSA’s Bylaws, anyone at any time can submit a proposal to the Board.

-- Discussion continued on the proposal sent by Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey. Teresa Buzzell (pres) asked Jackie Moore (R6) to trim the proposal to something the reps could take to their regions for discussion.

Sept 19 
-- Carmen Robertson (treas) posted the 2015 NAN report:
NAN 2015 Report
Total Income 24,285.50
Total Expenses -39,074.46
Overall Total -14,788.96

-- Jackie Moore (R6) posted a draft of Jackie Arns- Rossi and Eleanor Harvey’s proposal for public viewing.

Sept 20
-- Jackie Moore (R6) posted a second draft of Jackie Arns- Rossi and Eleanor Harvey’s proposal for public viewing.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted a summary of NAN profit/losses from the past decade.

Sept 21
-- Jackie Moore (R6) posted a final draft of Jackie Arns- Rossi and Eleanor Harvey’s proposal for public viewing.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) advised she was planning on speaking to Kathleen Fallon from Breyer about a donation to NAMHSA.

Sept 22
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) outlined a timeline for planned press releases showing NAN financial statements and the proposal for NAN before the Board.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) updated the Board on upcoming donation items she had en route.

Sept 23
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised that she had sent an email to Candice Stormes (2015 NAN Head Steward) letting Candice know that her account of her performance at NAN differed substantially from that of the reports given by the NAN Registrar and others who attended the event. Teresa referred Candice to the job requirements for Head Steward which Candice had not met.    

Teresa let Candice know that the recommendation for her not be awarded the full stipend actually came from people working the show and was discussed and voted on by the full NAMHSA BOD.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) advised she had an offer from Janice Cox from Identify Your Breyer for free ad space.

-- Jackie Moore (R6) posted an email she had received from a hobbyist suggesting that NAMHSA raise its membership fees.

Danielle Miller (IMS) advised that the last time membership fees were changed was 2008, she was unsure about card fees for shows. Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) also reported having been contacted by the same hobbyist about the same issue. Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised that card fees did not need to go up, as the Board had just switched to a less expensive printer, and she hesitated to raise member fees without increasing tangible benefits. Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) reminded the Board that there had been a membership-wide vote a few months ago that changed the structure and fees of the membership program entirely.

-- Heather Malone (web) reported that the graph created by Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) showing NAN profit and loss from the past 10 years had been posted to the website and could be found at:

Sept 24 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) advised there were still no applicants for Region 2 rep.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) requested that all reps post the proposal from Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey on all regional lists for discussion. She requested that reps remain neutral, and advised discussion would be open for one week.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) tabled the motion on Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey’s proposal and moved to discuss the proposal from Hilary Rossow. Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) seconded and discussion was opened.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) requested a time line of auction lots and approximate times they would be offered from Elena Lemm (fund).

-- Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) posted an email she sent to the hobbyist reminding her that members had just voted on membership changes earlier this spring to change the structure of memberships as well as how fees are applied to membership.  She also informed the hobbyist of some recent changes that had been made to help reduce some costs regarding card fees.

-- Janna Shepherd (PR) suggested posting a FAQ listing answers to common questions surrounding changes to NAN.

Sept 25 
-- Elena Lemm (Fund) offered up an update on fundraising activity including confirmed donations, donations in the works, and new fundraising ideas including raffles.  She also posted a proposed schedule, and reported that Carrie Sapp had offered free ad space on MHSP.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) uploaded a proposal to run the 2016 NAN from Hilary Rossow.  Teresa also included a list of preliminary questions she had asked Hilary about the proposal, and Hilary’s answers.

Discussion began. Concerns over having individuals listed as serving multiple roles (head steward and judge, for example) were raised. The number of judges listed was also of concern. BOD members also reported that members were asking when “the other proposal” would be released for discussion.

Teresa later reported that Hilary released an edited version of her proposal to Facebook. This version of the proposal included several items that were not in the original submission. She also reported in detail on NAN program production costs.

Sept 26 
-- Several BOD members spoke about fallout on Facebook over the release of Hilary Rossow’s proposal for the 2016 NAN. There were concerns about Hilary’s perceived attitude toward being asked questions, as well as her requests to have questions privately sent to her instead of answering them in public.

Sept 27 
-- Jackie Moore (R6) posted a comment that had been posted on NAMHSA-Discussion and asked if judge proxy policies had changed.

Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised there had been no changes and asked Jackie to get a clarification from the original poster.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) noted that she still did not have an updated proposal from Hilary Rossow.

Sept 28 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) requested that regional reps post discussion on both proposals to the NAMHSA forum in order to wrap up discussion. Carol Tuft (R7) offered some thoughts as did Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS).

Sept 29 
-- Jackie Moore (R6) reported that she had emailed the hobbyist about her comments on NAMHSA-Discussion but had not gotten a reply.

-- Discussion continued on Hilary Rossow’s proposal for the 2016 NAN.

Sept 30 
-- Discussion continued on Hilary Rossow’s proposal for the 2016 NAN. In particular, BOD members were concerned with what Hilary would be like to work with as she had proved difficult on Facebook when answering questions for former and current BOD members in public.

No report.

No report.

Region 3 had no shows in September, but we make up for it in October and November!

On October 10th is the Zions Zen Model Horse Show in Hurricane, UT, run by Alison Ural-Cawley. October, 24 brings us the One Woman Show Series (Artist Resin & Custom) in Phoenix, AZ, held by Teresa Candelaria. And there are 3, possibly 4, shows, all slated forNovember 7th, 2 in Calhan, Colorado, and 1 in Tucson, AZ. And last I heard, there may be a 4th just outside Albuquerque, NM. I'll post more details of the November shows in my next report! I hope all my fellow "Region-3ers" will be able to make it to one (or more!) of these wonderful shows.

Still quiet in Region 4 for September, but a slew of shows pop up in October to get your fill!

Deb Johnson's Jackson County 4-H and Open show returns for its 4th year on October 10th, and I hear it's already full!

In East Central Wisconsin, Greg Stebnitz's Sinawa Model Horse Show is at Camp Sinawa, with some great competition - and food! - on the menu.

Brian and Hillary Rossow are hosting a set of shows onOctober 30th and 31st in conjunction with MaryJo Rust in Lakefield, MN - the SW MN Live show series.

Further west in South Dakota, Deb Vick is hosting her Black Hills Model Horse Show on October 24th.

Good luck everyone!

This August, Lucy Kusluch and Jane Wagner held The 2nd Annual(?) Ponies, Pool and Model Horse Swapmeet, a fun get together with their real miniature horses, a potluck, swimming, and horse trading. The Kansas crew held a fun show with a Renaissance theme in August too.

September brings Labor Day LIve, and Mid Kansas All Mini OF/CM/AR Halter Show.

There is much talk of some new shows in Texas in the spring, I'm looking forward to that!

Hello All!

There were two shows in Region 6 in August. The Hollow Horse All Mini Mini Show was held in Cumming, GA on August 22. Show hostess Valerie Rice always puts on a terrific show so I am sure this show was no exception. Palmetto State Live was held in Irmo, SC onAugust 29. This was a super fun show that I was glad I was able to attend. I was even more glad that the weather co-operated enough that I didn't have to drive home in a hurricane (which had looked like a possibility the week before the show). The show was great fun with good friends!

Next up on the Region 6 calendar are:
Sept 19 - Magnolia State Live in Verona, MS
Oct 3 - The 28th Annual Southern Model Horse Convention in Covington, GA
Oct 24 - Haunted Horses in Orlando, FL
Nov 7 - Palmetto State Live in Irmo, SC
Nov 21 - Circle C Classic in Sophia, NC

See you at the shows!
Jackie Moore

Region 7 happenings,

In September we have 2 shows listed. Classy Chassis live 2 which had been scheduled for September 5thwas postponed to October 24th and had to be moved to a new show hall, please check the Classy Chassis web page for the new address.

On September 19th we have 4 Leaf Clover Live in Urbana Ohio which is sold out! This show has always been a great success and this year will be just as successful.

Coming up in October

12th Annual Quarter Horse Congress Model Horse Show on Oct 10th in Columbus Ohio, please check the web site for more details.

And as posted above Classy Chassis live 2 onOctober 24th in Knoxville Tennessee.

Welcome back to show season! Just a few shows this month; Marilou held her annual show in Galesburg- very stiff competition with lots of great people and beautiful horses, and No Frills kicked off their show series with many more new faces (let the new generation begin!). Milkshakes and Minis II was held in Michigan and sold out in quick manner as it normally does.
Next month we have Chris's annual cat shelter benefit, Meows and Minis.

Wow, I can’t believe all the great shows in Region 9 these days!

September will see four shows, three are on September 19, however two of them are at the same venue. It’s a Love Fest (Maureen Love sculptures, any make/finish) and Small But Mighty Live (minis) will be held in Gap, PA. Columbia Valley Moose Open OF Show is in Bloomsburg, PA. Then on September 26 is Keystone International Livestock Exposition at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA.

Intermediare Live and Intersport Live will be held October 11 at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg. These shows are held during the Pennsylvania National Horse Show and its fun to walk around, see the real horses competing, and check out the vendor booths.

Barb DiAnnibella – Region 9 Rep

Region 10 September Report

Baystate Models Live was held last month on August 15th and 16th by Maria Firstenberg. The show was a huge hit and was well attended. I absolutely love this show, and Maria pulled it off as awesome as ever! Thank you to EVERYONE who made the show a success!

As far as upcoming shows, there are two in October. The first one is on October 17th in Spencer, MA. It's the New England Performance Challenge held by Nancy Timm. This show is an absolute MUST for the Performance shower!

The second show is for the Novice/Intermediate shower and it's being held on October 25th in Williston, VT. The Vermont Live Model Horse Show is being held by Chrissey McCarty. If you've ever wanted to try showing your model horses, this is a great show to go to!

And of course, in November there is the year end Champ Show - The Region X Championships - or TRXC! The show is on November 7th and 8th and is hosted by Joan Fauteux and Kate Dwyer. They are still looking for judges, so please consider volunteering! Judges receive $50 or a waived entry fee - they CAN show in Halter Divisions they are not judging and CAN show in the Stakes Classes - and the buffet lunch.

And remember, you can always keep up to date with the Region 10 website:

~Sharon Mossy~
Region 10 Rep

No report.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Region 2 Special Election Results

Region 2 Special Election Results


In early October, a special election was held to fill the vacation position of Region 2 Representative after the resignation of the former Rep, Kathy Williams. Voting closed on October 13th, and Donna Anderson will be the new Region 2 Rep for the remainder of the 2014-2016 term.

If you would like to contact Donna she can be reached via email at

NAMHSA also thanks all applicants and appreciates their interest in this position.

Thank you,
Janna Shepherd
NAMHSA Public Relations Officer

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Region 11 Representative Resignation

Region 11 Representative Resignation


On October 13, 2015, Lisa Sharpe tendered her resignation as Region 11 Representative, effective immediately.

The NAMHSA Board of Directors wishes Lisa the best in her future endeavors and thanks her for her time with us.

There will be an announcement in the upcoming days pertaining to filling the vacant position.

Thank you,
Janna Shepherd
NAMHSA Public Relations Officer