Friday, December 18, 2015

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt - Results!

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt - Results!


The results are in from the NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt!

Here are the winners:
First Place and winner of the medallion painted by Kirsten Cermele - Stacy Faraci
Second Place and winner of the Breyer 2015 Beautiful Breeds TB Ornament - LeeAnn Bachman
Third Place and winner of the NIB Breyer Mystery Stablemate set - Meredith Conrad

All who entered the Ornament Hunt contest were also entered in a raffle for one of the exclusive unpainted medallions created by Becky Turner for NAMHSA. The winner of the raffle is Beth Patterson!

Congrats to the winners, and thank you to everyone who participated!

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt

NAMHSA Holiday Ornament Hunt


The Holiday tree fell over and there are ornaments everywhere! Please help us find all the ornaments that are all over the NAMHSA website! The first three to find all 10 ornaments will get to choose a special prize! Everyone who helps* will be entered into a raffle for an exclusive NAMHSA medallion done by Becky Turner.

How to play:
1. Find the 10 ornaments that are lost in the NAMHSA website.
2. Send an email to with the exact locations of all 10 ornaments. Please include your full name, phone number, email address, and shipping address.

The three prizes are:
1. Painted medallion by Kirsten Cermele
2. 2015 Breyer Beautiful Breeds TB Ornament
3. NIB mystery Breyer Stablemate set
Prizes will be chosen by the three winners in the order that they email with the correct answers. Domestic shipping will be covered; international shipping will be the responsibility of the winner.

*All who enter the Ornament Hunt contest before the winners are announced will be entered in a raffle for one of the exclusive unpainted medallions created by Becky Turner for NAMHSA.

Good luck and have fun!

Monday, December 14, 2015

NAMHSA Welcomes New NAN 2016 Sponsorship Coordinators

NAMHSA Welcomes New
NAN 2016 Sponsorship Coordinators


After submitting a proposal for the position, Rachel Stacy and Sarah Townsend were welcomed to the NAMHSA Team as NAN 2016 Sponsorship Coordinators. As Sponsorship Coordinators, Rachel and Sarah’s responsibilities will include soliciting sponsorships and donations for NAN.

For further inquiries you may write to Rachel and Sarah at

Thank you,
Janna Shepherd
NAMHSA Public Relations Officer

Sunday, December 13, 2015

NAMHSA Photo Contest - Results!

NAMHSA Photo Contest - Results!


The results are in from the NAMHSA Photo Contest!

Here are the winners:

For the Adult Division -
Honorable mention: Kate Tucker for her carriage photo

Third place and winner of $25 Café Press certificate: Sarah Kruger for her jousting photo

Second place and winner of NIB Breyer Old Timer: Sara Gifford for her kicking dragons photo

First place and winner of $250 gift certificate to Sakori's Customs: Juliane Gartska for her sunset photo

And in the Youth Division-
Second place and winner of NIB Classic Breyer: Ellie Bobbit for her two horses photo

First place and winner of NIB Breyer Old Timer: Ellie Bobbit for her mom and baby photo

The winners' photos will also be posted on the Fundraising page and our Facebook page.
Thank you to all of the entrants who sent in your photos and made the judging difficult!

Friday, December 4, 2015

NAMHSA News for October 2015

NAMHSA News for October 2015


Oct 1 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) noted that she had a nomination from for R2 rep, but that the nomination came from the nominee who was not a NAMHSA member. NAMHSA allows for self-nomination for reps and VP but requires that the nomination come from a NAMHSA member. She requested that someone contact the nominee about this.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted a chart comparing both proposals before the BOD for the 2016 NAN.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) reported on the history of the time frame for when calls for NAN chairs went out: the process had historically been started as early as the end of August and wrapped as late as the first week of December. Teresa also noted that sometimes issues with core BOD members changing unexpectedly affected the timing of calls for NAN chairs. She also noted that with two proposals on the table, the BOD would not seek a third option, as the position typically begs for volunteers.

-- Eleanor Harvey (parl) posted a history of NAMHSA and NAN based on archived messages she had kept and from information verified with three members of the founding board of NAMHSA.  She verified from these messages that the entire structure of NAN has always been, from the beginning, determined by the Board/Steering Committee, and no part of it has been subject to a membership vote. Further, she asserted that the structure of NAN has never been incorporated into the bylaws of NAMHSA—it has always been a matter of policy.

Oct 2
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) updated the search for a Region 2 rep.  The first nominee was still waiting for a legal person to nominate her. Jackie advised that she asked the nominee if she was still pursuing nomination or wanted to with draw. A second candidate had also been nominated, and Jackie was awaiting a bio for a ballot.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) noted that the discussion on the NAN proposals had mostly degenerated into rehashing previous points and called for any final discussion.
Eleanor Harvey (parl) offered a summary of options that the BOD currently faced: to vote to accept the first proposal with Jackie Arns-Rossi & Eleanor Harvey as chairs; to vote to accept the second proposal with Hilary Rossow as chair; OR to vote to accept neither of them - in which case, the Board would have to put together a full proposal for NAN 2016 (including how many judges, what kinds of awards, any fee increases, etc) and then would put out a call for NAN Chair to find someone willing to run it that way.

Teresa addressed the BOD with a summary of how she felt the BOD was leaning, which was that while both proposals had aspects that were viable, only Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey as chairs seemed to be a viable option.
Teresa did not feel that rejecting both proposals and trying to seek out a third chair candidate would sit well with the hobby. She also felt that the Board independently trying to sort the one judge vs three judge issue would not be something that could be wrapped up quickly with time to find a third chair candidate. Jackie Moore (R6) asked about Hilary Rossow’s amended proposal. Teresa advised this had never been formally submitted to the board and should not be considered.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) posted the ballot for Region 2 rep for approval.

Oct 4 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) approved the ballot for the Region 2 election.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted an agenda for October:
1. Finish discussion/vote on NAN 2016 proposals (Deadline to have vote finished by Oct. 15)
2. Policy change: discuss/vote re: combining classes
3. Awards
4. NAN Fees

To do list: get a new Reg 2 rep on board, keep advertising the cookie contest.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) uploaded minutes from 2012, 2011, and 2010 for archival purposes.

Oct 5 
-- Janna Shepherd (PR) reported that she had only received one entry for the 2016-2017 NAN trophy contest and asked how she should handle checks sent for entry fees for the contest.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) posted proposed rules for a photography contest, a holiday raffle for December, and proofs of patches for NAMHSA themed Pony Pouches from Lori Bachelor. Janna Shepherd (PR) recommended reviewing PayPal’s TOS for handling raffle tickets, as these were typically not allowed.

Oct 6 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) uploaded minutes from 2009 for archival purposes.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) advised that the Region 2 ballot for rep was out, and suggested an announcement asking members to add to any approved senders list they might have. She also reported on issues with people who did not get ballots and were not on the membership list and what steps she was taking to resolve the issues.
Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised sending the winner of the election the links about BOD conduct that Kim Bjorgo-Thorne had previously recommended. Jackie also suggested sending out reminder emails to members with expiring memberships since everyone now ended at the same time. BOD members commenting felt this was a good idea.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) asked for clarifications on some of Elena Lemm’s (fund) proposed programs.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) called for final discussion points for the 2016 NAN proposals. She indicated that a vote would start on October 9 and run 5 days and that any newly installed Region 2 rep would also vote.

Oct 7 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) expressed concerns about the timeline for getting a new R2 rep installed in time to actually have a meaningful vote on the NAN proposals.
Teresa Buzzel (pres) acknowledged these concerns and offered some suggestions to alleviate them, including sending introductory materials to both candidates before the election ended, and informing them of needing to be immediately available to vote on the issue before the poll closed.  She also suggested having the email to the winning candidate already drafted and ready to be sent, including sending all of the information on how to access the forum and supplying links to the discussion and the poll to vote in.

-- Carmen Robertson (treas) advised raffle tickets could not be purchased through Paypal as raffles were considered a form of gambling.

-- Carmen Robertson (treas) posted the September Treasury Summary:
September 2015 Report
Balance in BOA checking as of 9/30/15: 53,349.20
Balance in PayPal as of 9/30/15: 142.31
Balance in NAMHSA accounts as of 9/30/15: 53,491.51

Oct 8 
-- Eleanor Harvey (parl) pointed out that even if the new R2 rep were installed ASAP on the 14th, there was not enough time for that person to review and digest all of the information about both proposals in a few hours to cast a meaningful vote.
Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) also felt that the timing of the election and vote would be setting up the incoming R2 rep as there was not time for the rep to absorb all of the information the BOD had been privy to for the past 6 weeks.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) moved to vote on the 2016 NAN proposals. Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) seconded. Teresa stated that since there had been no discussion, the poll would start October 9.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) offered to draft a letter to both R2 candidates welcoming them to the BOD to try and bring them up to date as quickly as possible.

Oct 9 
-- The following poll was started:
Please vote for what NAN 2016 Proposal should be accepted:
1. Yes, I am in favor of Jackie Arns-Rossi & Eleanor Harvey's proposal
2. Yes, I am in favor of Hilary Rossow's proposal
3. No, I don't want either proposal - let's find a different candidate.
The poll was slated to run 5 days.

-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) uploaded the 2007 minutes and a partial copy of the 2006 minutes. She advised that older copies of the minutes were in hard copy format only, and asked if it was possible to have them scanned as searchable documents. Lindsay Diamond (R4 and SMS) reported she had access to a scanner that could produce searchable docs and was willing to scan the older minutes. Teresa Buzzell (pres) gave permission to proceed.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) posted an email exchange between the Board and Sheri Rhodes of Mountain View Studios concerning Sheri taking on the entire NAN trophy process which could potentially cut award costs for NAN.  Sheri gave price quotes for the full awards, excluding labor which she volunteered to donate.
Teresa was not in favor of making a large change to the NAN awards, as had been suggested in past discussions, and moved to discuss the awards. This was seconded by Jackie Moore (R6).

Oct 12 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) reported to the BOD that past Registrar, Jim West, had died unexpectedly that morning. The NAMHSA BOD expressed it sorrow and condolences for his family and friends.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) received an email from an unknown person asking about the security of the NAMHSA website.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) asked Carmen Robertson (treas) to ask Auld’s on their pricing for awards and advise them that NAMHSA was exploring other options for award suppliers.

Oct 13 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) reported another issue with an R2 member who did not receive a ballot and did not have proof that they had rejoined when they entered NAN 2015. She suggested adding membership numbers since all memberships were now the same, as this may encourage people to fill out and then keep membership paperwork.  She also suggested putting a limit (48 hours) as for how far into a vote people could bring up issues with not getting ballots (in this particular case, the ballot went out on Wednesday and the issue was not identified by the member until Saturday afternoon). Teresa Buzzell (pres) felt that both membership numbers and time limits on getting ballots corrected could both be implemented.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) advised she had received an email from Lisa Sharpe (R11) resigning from her position as Region 11 representative. Teresa asked Janna Shepherd (PR) to create a call for candidates for a new rep.

Oct 14 
-- Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) announced the results of the Region 2 rep election: Donna Anderson is the new Region 2 Representative. Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised both candidates of the results and made sure that Donna had received the recommended reading materials on board conduct.

--Janna Shepherd (PR) advised that NAMHSA was going to expand their social media presence and now had an Instagram account: @NAMHSA.Official

-- Elena Lemm (fund) reported that the first round of fundraising auctions on My Auction Barn were live.

Oct 15 
-- The following poll ended:
Please vote for what NAN 2016 Proposal should be accepted:
1. Yes, I am in favor of Jackie Arns-Rossi & Eleanor Harvey's proposal
-Stacy Quick (R1)
-Yashka Hallein (R3)
-Lindsay Diamond (R4)
-Lynn Weber (R5)
-Jackie Moore (R6)
-Carol Tuft (R7)
-Jenna Murphy (R8)
-Barbara DiAnnibella (R9)
-Sharon Mossy (R10)
-Lisa Sharpe (R11)
-Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP)
2. Yes, I am in favor of Hilary Rossow's proposal
No votes
3. No, I don't want either proposal - let's find a different candidate.
No votes

The seat for Region 2 was unfilled at the time of this vote.

Jackie Arns-Rossi and Eleanor Harvey will run NAN under the stipulations in their previously made proposal.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) suggested adding a reserve to future fundraising auctions. Teresa Buzzell (pres) felt this was not necessary at this time.

Oct 16 
-- Janna Shepherd (PR) reported she received a second entry for the 2016-2017 trophy contest.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) posted the Monthly Fundraising Report:
“The fundraising is off to a fabulous start with the monthly auctions, they started this month with 2 OFs, a CM SM, a doll/saddle pad set and a jump set. So far all items have bids and people seem excited about the offerings.
Plans are still in progress for the photo show and some kind of holiday special. We will not be doing an online raffle in Dec, but other plans are in progress for something just as fabulous.
New donations are coming in and several donated pieces are with the painting artists.
The show packet and Pony Pouch proposal are still in the works.”

Oct 17 
-- Carmen Robertson (treas) reported prices from Auld for 2016 NAN awards.  Jackie Arns-Rossi (RS) asked if this pricing would be on top of the costs of the resin trophy medallion.

Oct 19 
-- Elena Lemm (fund) offered a revision to the photo contest fundraiser.

-- Discussion on changing the trophy supplier continued, with most weighing in preferring to keep Auld’s for Merit Awards and moving to MVS for NAN trophies. Dayle Steinke (MAC) confirmed that there was a good supply of past trophies to be recycled at Auld’s.

Oct 20 
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) requested Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) to have Sheri from MVS photograph the two different sample NAN trophies to get a better idea of any differences in appearance.

Oct 21 
-- Sharon Mossy (R10) brought a concern over a potential show in Region 10. The showholder of this potential show had tried to hold another show previously, accepted entrants and then canceled the show, but did not refund all the entrants. She was also difficult to deal with for what refunds were given out. Sharon asked if the showholder could be required to refund entrants of the past show. Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised that while Sharon could ask that the showholder refund entrants of the cancelled show, NAMHSA played no role in collecting those funds.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) posted an update on potential fundraisers including a potential Jim West memorial piece.

Oct 22 
-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) advised she had sent an email to MVS asking about the two different plaques.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) asked board members to post their goals for NAMHSA (beyond NAN) for the coming year.

Oct 28 
--Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted an update from MVS about the prices for NAN trophies.

-- Kim Bjorgo-Thorne (VP) posted her top 5 goals for NAMHSA in the next year:
  1. Conduct SWOT analysis for NAMHSA (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats)
  2. Develop strategic plan for the next 5 years for NAMHSA
  3. Revisit bylaws and update/revise where needed
  4. Spend time on Board member development via required reading of BoardSource books/white papers
  5. Revisit NAMHSA mission and vision statements and update where needed

Other goals posted by the BOD members included a judges’ handbook or judging reference books, revisiting the proposed database, and just getting anything aside from NAN accomplished.

Oct 29
-- Discussion continued on changing the vendors for the 2016 NAN trophy plaques.

Oct 30
-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) moved that discussion on the NAN trophy plaques end that evening so it could go to vote. Stacy Quick (R1) seconded. Board members indicated they were ready to vote.

Oct 31 
-- A poll started to change the vendor of the NAN Trophy Plaques to Mountain View Studios.

-- Elena Lemm (fund) advised that Lori Bachelor was sending 6 Pony Pouches to be sold and as prizes for the photography contest. She also advised that she was planning an NAN auction/event.

-- Discussion on goals for NAMHSA, including a judging seminar at BreyerFest continued.

-- Teresa Buzzell (pres) moved to eliminate the following item from the policy document:
I. NAN Classlist
2. Minimum Guaranteed Classlist: The use of a Minimum Guaranteed Classlist (MGC) was approved for use with NAN 2008 (11-0, 4/08). A modified MGC was used for NAN 2009. The MGC is published before the NAN entry period opens. Classes in the MGC may be split, but classes in the MCG may not be combined or eliminated without approval from all individuals entered in the classes in question.

She elaborated on reasons to strike this item, including issues with creating a good classlist that would not need to have classes combined, and financial trends that ended up with about 20% of classes at recent NANs to have less than 20 horses.

No report.

No report.

October was a sad, heartbreaking month for Region 3, as well as the rest of the hobby at large. Jim West, friend to many, and the fearless NAN Registrar for many years, passed away of a sudden heart attack on Monday, October 12th. Because of this, both the Wild Wild West All Yellow and All Performance Shootout in Calhan, CO on November 7th have been cancelled. In their place a remembrance BBQ will be held. Please contact me via email if you would like to attend and need the address, etc.

In Arizona, the show season continues with One Woman Show Series (Artist Resin & Custom) in Phoenix, AZ, on October 24th. Contact: Teresa Candelaria. Then on November 7th, there is OSC: Tucson Mountain Live in Tucson, AZ. Contact: Pat McDonald.

I haven't heard a show report for Zions Zen Model Horse Show in Hurricane, UT. held by Alison Ural-Cawley on October 10th, but assume that a great time was had by all.

Until next time, clear skies.

Show season kicks off in October in Region 4. Shows are scattered across Wisconsin, South Dakota and Minnesota. I've seen some fantastic pictures from Deb Johnson's 4th Annual Jackson County 4-H and Open Model Horse Show on October 10th, and it looks like the competition was fantastic! Feel free to post pictures and show reports on the Region 4 Facebook page or on the Yahoo Group.

I want to take a moment to remember Jim West. Jim passed away suddenly and unexpectedly the morning of October 12th. As many of you know, Jim was our fearless registrar for NAN 2011 through 2015. He will be sorely missed by everyone in the hobby for his wit, personality, and love of all things Lego. If anyone would like to send a card to Vicky and his children, please contact me for an address.

Enjoy your shows! Clear skies.

No Report.

Hello All!

On Sept 19, Magnolia State Live was held in Tupelo, MS. By all accounts, this brand new show was well-run and enjoyable, and everyone is looking forward to it returning next year. The show raised money and donations for the Oktibehha County Humane Society, which, I am sure, was very grateful to receive the donations!

There are two shows scheduled for the region in October:
The 28th Annual Southern Model Horse Convention in Covington, GA on Oct 3
Haunted Horses in Orlando, FL on Oct 24

There are also two shows scheduled for November:
Palmetto State Live in Irmo, SC on Nov 7
Circle C Classic in Sophia, NC on Nov 21

See you at the shows!
Jackie Moore

Fall is most defiantly on it's way here, leaves are changing here in Tennessee and I bet they are well into fall in Ohio. time for our Fall/ Winter show season to get underway. October 10th saw the 12th annual Quarter Horse Congress which by all accounts was a great success.
October 24 was to be Classy Chassis 2 however due to unforseen circumstances the show had to be cancelled. If Jennifer Dodd is able to Start it back up again you need to come! It is a novel show with divisions for every model who's molds were made before 1996.
Next up is Winter is coming! Model Horse Show held on Nov 7th in Shelbyville KY Held by Rachel Kelly
and on December 5th there will be Merry Minis Live a minis only show info to be found at This is a new show and I can't wait to see how fun it will be.

No report.

September had several shows in Region 9, including Columbia Valley Moose Open in Bloomsburg PA, and Small But Mighty Live and It’s a Love Fest, both in Gap PA, on Sept 19, and then Keystone International Livestock Exposition on Sept 26 at the PA Farm Show complex in Harrisburg. Small But Mighty and It’s a Love Fest were both new shows and I think KILE was also. It’s great to have some new options!

Intermediaire/Intersport were held Oct 11, during the real horse show at the PA Farm Show complex in Harrisburg. Competition was incredibly tough in all divisions.

There are a lot of shows coming up in November, three on the 7th – Southwest PA Classic in Richeyville, PA, Ride for Pride in Leesport, PA and Columbia Valley Moose Open AR/CM Show, Bloomsburg, PA. The November Model Horse Fest will be in Flemington NJ on the 28th.

I have started a show list on my website: ... shows.html. Eventually I hope to create a separate Region 9 Website.

Region 10 October Report

Fall is definitely here - such beautiful colors in Region 10 at this time of the year. And Fall brings some super fun shows too, including our Regional Championship show! Read on for more details

There are two super awesome shows just around the corner this month. The first one is on October 17th in Spencer, MA. It's the New England Performance Challenge held by Nancy Timm. This show is an absolute MUST for the Performance shower!

The second show is for the Novice/Intermediate shower and it's being held on October 25th in Williston, VT. The Vermont Live Model Horse Show is being held by Chrissey McCarty. If you've ever wanted to try showing your model horses, this is a great show to go to!

And of course, in November there is the year end Champ Show - The Region X Championships - or TRXC! The show is on November 7th and 8th and is hosted by Joan Fauteux and Kate Dwyer. Our stakes judges are Liesl Dalpe and Susan Bensema Young! This is a SUPERB two day show that is a must attend!

And remember, you can always keep up to date with the Region 10 website:

~Sharon Mossy~
Region 10 Rep

No report.