Sunday, December 30, 2012

CafePress sale!

CafePress is offering a New Years sale.  Save $10 off orders of $50 or more through 11:59pm January 2 with the code "confetti".  Pick up something new for the 2013 show year!

NAMHSA News for the period of December 1-15, 2012

NAMHSA News for the period of December 1-15, 2012 based on the minutes compiled by Jackie Arns-Rossi, Recording Secretary.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi (Recording Secretary) asked for an update from Danielle Miller (Individual Membership Secretary) about the individual membership period of a person who expected, but did not receive, a ballot. Pat Coulter (Region 9 Representative) also asked if there was a resolution regarding another possible IM's status. Danielle replied that she had no records for either person, and asked if they could provide a PayPal receipt.

-Teresa Buzzell (President) reported that the Cafe Press store was $8 away from earning its first $50 profit. She also asked Pauline Entin (Region 3 Representative and Interim PR) to run a post about the store.

-Teresa Buzzell asked Beth Lamm (Merit Award Coordinator) to address a post on NAMHSA-Discussion asking about merit award plaques from this summer's award drive. Beth advised she was behind on plaques, but working on them.

-Teresa Buzzell asked for representatives who had not weighed in on the N-D list discussion (membership status to post etc.) to please do so.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi posted a revision of the November 16-30 Minutes. These were approved by Teresa Buzzell on December 5th.

-Lynn Weber requested bios from the Region 1 and 2 representatives (Tracy Eilers and Tom Dean) for the NAMHSA blog.

-Tracy Eilers (Region 1 Representative) asked for an update on the status of the Fundraising Coordinator position. Carra McClelland (Region 4 Representative) advised she still needed to call her insurance agent, as this had been difficult to do while she was at work. Both Tracy and Lyn Norbury (Region 5 Representative) reported they had been asked about a future NAN auction or other fundraising.

-Beth Lamm reported that she had been in contact with Gary at Auld’s about the left over medallions for Merit Awards. Auld’s recommended that the plaques be returned to them where they would remove the medallions, repaint them, and reattach them to Merit Award plaques for a one time fee of $25-50 for 20-30 plaques. She requested the BOD’s guidance on the next step. There was some discussion on the exact mechanics of turning an old NAN award into a Merit Award. A few BOD members were in favor of going forward if a written estimate could be given.

-Pat Coulter offered to call her insurance agent to get the information needed for insuring the Fundraising Coordinator.

-Teresa Buzzell requested that members of the BOD call insurance agents for quotes for a $15,000 business owner/crime insurance policy that covered employee theft. She gave a deadline of December 17th to get these quotes. She stated “If we do not have quotes by then, I will assume that while the BOD cares about protecting the finances of the organization, we simply can not do anything about that at this time and will leave it for someone else to do. At that point in time, I will have Pauline re-post the job description here and I will approve it to go out and we'll start the solicitation process."

-Carra McClelland forwarded an email from an insurance underwriter: "To get employee dishonesty coverage you will need a Business owner's policy that would include some employee dishonesty coverage. It's usually a set amount like $5,000 or $10,000."

-Lynn Weber (Website Manager) provided an update on the server transition: “Elaine Lindelef is not getting the emails with the authorization codes I need, so I asked her to go ahead and change the contact to me...Lindsey [Hall - former VP] is leaving it [website] in place since she knows I'm working on it.”

-Teresa Buzzell reported that she and Niki Hertzog (NAN 2013 Chair) have the contract for the NAN 2013 location in Harrisburg. The room rental fee will not change from the original quote, and will be $2625, including Thursday set up. There will be no additional charges for parking or for table and chair rental.

-Pauline Entin posted a draft of the NAMHSA News for November 1-15, 2012. This was approved by Teresa Buzzell.

-Teresa Buzzell posted the latest Board agenda:

-NAN Cards - Extension ballot wording
-Results Bylaw wording/voting
-NAN Room - Discussion/decision
-Treasurer Vote

II. On-Going:
-Membership Voting - Bylaws Changes for Results/NAN Cards
-Emergency VP Search (Deadline approaching)

III. Still On Hold
-Finish up the Fundraising Coordinator position - approve the job description & advertise - waiting to hear more regarding crime protection coverage. (Deadline approaching!!)

IV. New/Waiting to Get To:
-NAN Auction/Raffle - yes/no/maybe?
-MA Ideas - Beth - need your proposal by Wednesday if at all possible, don't want to get it lost for any more time.
-MSOTY - Year Round Solicitation for Shows/Year Round Coordinator Discussion
-Show Results - Listing for late/delinquent show results

-Lynn Weber requested bios from the representatives for Regions 1 and 2 for the NAMHSA blog. Tracy Eilers replied she would send hers shortly.

-Lynn Weber posted an update on the server transition: “Elaine finally got the email from GoDaddy, but now she has to get a code from Network Solutions, where it's currently registered, in order to move it. Still waiting on that... It's not normally this long of a process!”

-Jackie Arns-Rossi posted the results of the membership ballot regarding NAN Card validity extension and NAMHSA member show results:

A. On extending NAN card validity dates from 2 to 4 years, starting retroactively with cards marked NAN 11-12 (which would be extended through NAN 2014):

Approve: 114
Disapprove: 12

B. Is the NAN card validity extension accepted as an Emergency Change?

Yes: 112
No: 13

C. Proposed Bylaws change to require NAMHSA member show results in a searchable format:

Approve: 117
Disapprove: 9

D. Is the Bylaws change regarding member show results accepted as an Emergency Change?

Yes: 105
No: 21

****Both measures pass, both to be instituted immediately.****

-Teresa Buzzell asked Jackie Arns-Rossi for a report on the percentage of ballots returned, and asked Pauline Entin to draft a public post on the ballot results. Jackie replied she would work on one.

-Lynn Weber reported that Lindsey Hall told her that results had never been received from the March 13, 2010 Rosebud All Minis Show in Camas, WA. The show holder stopped communicating with Lindsey and Tracy Eilers. Lynn asked Amy Peck (Show Member Secretary) and Beth Lamm to add this show to their lists to prevent the show holder from holding future NAN qualifiers and to disallow cards from the show for use toward Merit Awards.

-Teresa Buzzell asked Amy Peck to please alert the BOD of any overdue results, going forward. Teresa also noted that a delinquent show results list was clearly needed given that missing results were brought to the Board's attention more than two years after the show was held. She noted that is was critical that show holders fulfill their responsibilities by submitting results.

-Amy Peck reported she had just received a copy of the 2010 Rosebud show results from Rosebud shower Amy Widman. She did not know when Amy Widman received them from the show holder. She offered to forward the results to Lynn Weber and advised the BOD that it was their call to accept the results as valid or not.

-Teresa Buzzell asked the BOD if they were willing to accept the results with reasons as to why or why not, as well as if the Rosebud show holder would still be eligible to hold future qualifiers. Board members responding were in favor of allowing the results to stand and cards be valid for use. The question of how long a delinquent show holder would be barred from holding a qualifier was brought up by Tracy Eilers as the show in question had been nearly 3 years ago.

-Amy Peck posted a list of the three individuals were are ineligible to hold a NAMHSA member show due to serious violations of NAMHSA policy, along with the shows related to the violations.

-Amy Peck stated she had no problem reporting late results to BOD, but asked how late results had to be to warrant reporting. She suggested a time line. Amy also said that she currently allowed shows to send in revisions of results (after initial submission) and asked if the BOD would like to set a time limit on accepting revisions. In general, revisions were made within a month of the original submission. Lynn Weber suggested a limit of 60 days, as this would fit well with her upload schedule. Teresa Buzzell said she supported Amy's proposed time line, and reminded everyone that a show with results past 30 days could appear on the delinquent list. As far as revisions, Teresa encouraged show holders to get revisions done prior to submission to NAMHSA. Amy felt these were reasonable guidelines.

-Carra McClelland reported that she had been talking to Kristina Lucas-Francis about the 2014/2015 NAN Trophy contest. [Kristina will serve as judge, because she is the winning designer of the current trophy.] Teresa Buzzell responded that the contest was typically announced in April or May and that it would be helpful if Kristina could identify a local hobbyist who could receive entries and assist with the judging process. She recommended reviewing the announcement of the previous contest.

-Carra McClelland asked about showing horses marked as china test runs. There was some brief discussion about china test runs and custom glazes, and the fact that marked test run chinas can show in OF china/resin at NAN.

-Eleanor Harvey (Parliamentarian) posted a reminder to the board that the VP nomination period was still open, and that all candidates had not been contacted to confirm interest, collect bios and create a ballot. She specifically advised Lyn Norbury that her posting a bio to regional lists ahead of time was not proper protocol.

-Eleanor Harvey asked that the other VP candidates be contacted for confirmation and bios as soon as possible. She requested that a reminder of the nomination period be sent to all regions.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi reported that she sent requests to other VP candidates. She also asked if the previously posted bio by Lyn Norbury would be the one used for the ballot. Eleanor said she presumed so since it was already out. Jackie also asked if the bios from the other candidates should be posted the day after the nomination period was over.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi reported that she had the bio for one candidate for VP, but the third candidate had withdrawn her nomination. She asked again if she should post the bio the following morning.

-Pauline Entin added that she had reposted the request for nominations and did not see any reason to delay the process. Eleanor Harvey gave Jackie permission to post the bios as soon as the nomination period closed.

-- Jackie Moore (Region 6 Representative) forwarded an email exchange she had had with a hobbyist regarding whether or not NAMHSA appointed positions were limited to one term, or could be reappointed. The hobbyist contended that the Bylaws prohibited reappointment. Jackie said the hobbyist requested a formal reply from the Board. The Board had already discussed this point, and began composing a reply.


Posted by Pauline Entin, NAMHSA PR 12/30/12

Thursday, December 27, 2012

NAMHSA News for the period of November 16-30, 2012

NAMHSA News for the period of November 16-30, 2012 based on the minutes compiled by Jackie Arns-Rossi, Recording Secretary.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi (Recording Secretary) posted the November 1-15 minutes.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi started a Board poll to approve or disapprove the proposed language for the ballot to be sent to the membership regarding extension of NAN qualification from two years to four.

- Amy Peck (Show Membership Secretary) advised that she emailed a show holder to tell her that she could not advertise extended NAN card qualification periods until/if this measure had been approved by the membership. Amy also reported that she advised the show holder that show holders do not have authority to invalidate NAN cards, but that a show holder could warn showers that unless horse names were submitted by the time results were submitted to NAMHSA, the shower may have to show the horse at NAN as a number. She hoped that this show holder would bring any discussion to her regional rep.

-Lynn Weber (Website Manager) advised that she was working with Lindsey Hall (former Vice President) to transfer the domain name owned by Lindsey to NAMHSA. Lynn planned to put up a temporary contact page with BOD members' email addresses. Once the emails were ready, she would change them back.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi closed the poll started on 11/16 early, as all voting members had cast votes. The ballot wording was approved by majority vote of the Board.

Voting to APPROVE the ballot wording:

-Tracy Eilers (R1)
-Tom Dean (R2)
-Pauline Entin (R3)
-Carra McClelland (R4)
- Lyn Norbury (R5)
-Jackie Moore (R6)
-Stacy Faraci (R7)
-Chris Wallbruch (R8)
-Pat Coulter (R9)
-Kate Cabot (R10)
-Terri Wright (R11)

There were no votes to disapprove and no abstentions. The VP position is currently vacant.

-Amy Peck posted the most current NAMHSA Approved Show List, dated 11/18/12. She also reminded show holders to send show applications to A full list of NAMHSA member shows may be found on the NAMHSA website:

-Pauline Entin (Region 3 Representative and Interim PR) posted a draft solicitation for VP nominations. She also posted a draft post explaining Lindsey Hall’s resignation. Teresa Buzzell (President) approved it for posting.

-Teresa Buzzell requested that a poll be set up for the Treasurer position vote. Jackie Arns-Rossi recommended that this request be motioned and seconded, so she moved for the BOD to select a Treasurer. This was seconded by Pat Coulter (Region 9 Representative) Jackie asked Teresa if a 24 hour discussion period was appropriate. After some discussion, Eleanor Harvey (Parliamentarian) approved via text message a 24 hour discussion before a vote for Treasurer. It was felt that since there had been no further discussion on the Treasurer position for over a week, a 24 hours period was appropriate. Several BOD members expressed readiness to vote.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi requested a deadline for ballot return, as there is no standard in the NAMSHA Bylaws or policy document. Teresa Buzzell suggested 3 weeks.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi advised that all email ballots had gone out, but that several email addresses had bounced. She requested representatives to assist in getting the correct addresses. Representatives replied they would do so.

-Teresa Buzzell asked Jackie Arns-Rossi to post to all regional lists that the ballot had gone out. Jackie said she would do so as soon as she joined all lists, as she was not currently subbed to all of them.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi reported that she had sent notification of the ballot to all 11 regional lists.

-Teresa Buzzell posted information about a new Breyer sponsored program for Live Shows:

-Teresa Buzzell asked Jackie Arns-Rossi to start the Treasurer position poll.

-Teresa Buzzell asked Beth Lamm (Merit Award Coordinator) to present her proposal for new merit awards.

-Teresa Buzzell asked Pauline Entin to post to the lists about the Cafe Press shop for holiday gifts.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi set up the poll for the Treasurer position.

-Pat Coulter reported that a Region 9 member did not get a ballot and thought she should have. Danielle Miller (Individual Membership Secretary) offered to look up her membership application to verify membership period.

-Teresa Buzzell advised there were new products, including a calendar, in the Cafe Press store, and there was a code for 15% off orders.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi asked Danielle Miller to look for the application of another member who reported not receiving a ballot. Both Jackie and Danielle expressed concerns about streamlining how Individual Member information is collected, as up to 5 people (SMS, RS, IMS, NAN Registrar and Treasurer) may be involved in trying to capture all the IM data.

-Lynn Weber advised she was trying to update the website, but the file overwrite was not going through. She would continue to work on it.

-Lynn Weber clarified that the domain name that Lindsey Hall offered to sell NAMHSA was *not* the domain, but She asked if NAMHSA wanted to own this domain or not, and had not been under the impression that this was the domain offered by Lindsey in her resignation. The show results were currently stored on this domain, but could be folded into the one. Several BOD members also thought that the domain being offered was, and no one thought that the show results domain was needed.

-Teresa Buzzell asked Pauline Entin to post the Vice President nomination solicitation to the lists, since there had been no comment on the draft posted on 11/18.

-Teresa Buzzell advised that NAMHSA would not be paying for the domain.

-Lynn Weber reported she had been in contact with Lindsey Hall about the domain names. Lindsey explained that Elaine Lindelef (former NAMHSA President) owns the name and last time it was due for renewal she declined to have NAMHSA pay for it. Lindsey provided Elaine's email address and some additional technical details.

-Teresa Buzzell stated she felt that the domain name really needed to be under the organization's control. Several BOD members suggested emailing Elaine to request transfer of the domain name.

-Teresa Buzzell advised Pauline Entin that the link she had recently posted for the NAMHSA Cafe Press store was incorrect. The correct link is:

-Pat Coulter suggested that the BOD try and formally administrate the various regional NAMHSA pages on Facebook. Teresa Buzzell said that NAMHSA could only control its own official page. Facebook is not the official channel for communications from NAMHSA, but a tool for that communication.

-Lynn Weber reported that she had been in contact with Elaine Lindelef who was willing to switch the domain over. She also planned to check with Jackie Hamilton to see if her host could run the NAN program. Jackie Hamilton suggested using a host that could run Linux, so Lynn decided to look at for hosting. There was some confusion over the exact pricing on Godaddy for a domain transfer, but this is apparently typical for Lynn said she would report on the final pricing once she had it confirmed.

-Beth Lamm reported she was catching up on merit awards and asked if anyone knew how to remove older medallions from the wooden backing (these are older NAN trophies being recycled for the merit award program). Teresa Buzzell suggested that Beth contact Gail and Jill Schuenemann, who had run the Merit Award program for a time.

-The poll to select the Treasurer closed. All 11 voting members cast a vote. Carmen Robertson was re-appointed by majority vote of the Board. NAMHSA is grateful to all individuals who expressed interest in the position.

-Lyn Norbury (Region 5 Representative) reported that the poll to select the dates for NAN 2013 had never formally closed. Teresa Buzzel thanked Lyn and closed the poll.

-Jackie Arns-Rossi asked the BOD to consider making some changes to the NAMHSA-Discussion forum, as the group has a poor reputation for being a place to foster actual discussion, and instead, turns into heated arguments when something is presented. The specific suggestions made were:
- Make it so anyone an read the messages, they do not need to be subscribed to the list
- Anyone can subscribe BUT only NAMHSA members would have the ability to post. That is, only those with a vested and paid interest could post. 
- Moderated NAMHSA members would remain moderated.

-Teresa Buzzell said she liked the idea of limiting posting to members and asked for more input from the BOD. Several BOD members were in favor of a change, and Carra McClelland offered the posting rules from her regional Facebook group as a starting point:
1. NO foul language
2. NO bashing of other members,
3. No political stuff, ever, at all. We are here to talk NAMHSA, model horse showing and events in our region and surrounding regions. 
4. This group is not to be treated as NAMHSA-Discussion Light. Please keep those topics there.

-Jackie Moore (Region 6 Representative) reminded the Board that the other Treasurer candidate(s) should be notified regarding the Treasurer position, before it was announced to the entire hobby. Teresa Buzzell said she would take care of that.

-Lynn Weber advised that she had the website domain transfer started, but that it could take up to 5 days to be completed. It was possible that the site might be down a day or two during the transfer. Lynn also advised she had all the files from the site, and was unsure if Lindsey Hall was planning to delete the site from her servers on December 1st or was planning on waiting until the new server was up and running. Teresa Buzzell thanked Lynn for her work, and asked Pauline Entin to draft a notice to advise hobbyists of the possible downtime.

-Teresa Buzzell offered more thoughts on changing NAMHSA-Discussion: the BOD would have to identify people who would be able to fairly moderate the group, while allowing disagreement to occur. The membership list, if posting were to be reserved for just members, would need to be vigorously maintained. A level of moderation would need to be agreed upon. Jackie Arns-Rossi advised that some of these jobs were already outlined in the NAMHSA policy document (the VP is listed as owner and moderator of N-D, and the PR person is also listed as a moderator). She suggested that the IMS and RS maintain membership lists for N-D since this is already part of what they do. Adding the Parlimentarian and regional representatives as part of the moderation team also made some sense.

-Tracy Eilers (Region 1 Representative) clarified some points about the Mini Entry Drive that were confused on both N-D and in Jackie’s post.

-Pauline Entin posted a draft about the website hosting changes and potential downtime for the NAMHSA website.


Posted by Pauline Entin, NAMHSA Interim PR